Sunday, April 24, 2011

Decadent Food@Kulinarya

Thanks to Lala of Kulinarya Cooking Club, who came up with another challenging theme of Decadent Food. My dish for April is Calamansi Lime Pie, made creamy by the surprise ingredient, condensed milk. The sweet, tart and creamy combination makes you crave for another slice. The recipe is adapted from Jeanne Kelley's wonderful cookbook, Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes.




Calamansi Lime Pie with Blueberry Compote

1 prepared 9-inch pie crust

1 (14-ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup freshly squeezed calamansi limes
(or regular limes)
1 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
2 eggs

16 ounces fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar


Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.

Mix together the condensed milk, lime juice, and zest until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and pour into the condensed milk mixture, mixing thoroughly. Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake until filling is set, about 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely. Chill in the refrigerator while making the compote.

Place blueberries and sugar in a saucepan and let simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes. The mixture will thicken and reduce. Set aside to cool. Spoon over the pie slices and serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche, if desired.


Kulinarya Cooking Club was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney who are passionate about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine.

Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino food as we do.

If you’re interested in joining our Kulinarya Cooking Club, please feel free to drop by our foodblogs and leave a comment. We would love to hear from you!


11 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm. Reminds me of the key lime pie my great-grandma used to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this recipe using Key Lime. I'm going Blueberry picking in a couple of weeks so definitely going to use them too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A combo of two of my favourites: calamansi and blueberries. I have been given a bottle of calamansi concentrate which I can put to good use in this recipe. Good job, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the citrusy flavor bursting in every bite... and the calamansi smell too. I'm lucky to have calamansi in an Asian store in our locale. would love to try this one too. Happy Easter my sweet blogger friend!

    xo.
    Malou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie,

    You know what I'm gonna have this delicious looking pie with? A tall latte. Your pie looks creamy, I may have two slices. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it lovely and sure looks tasty ..... i have long been considering "calamansi" in my pie ..... thanks for sharing this ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful. The calamansi is a great twist to a american classic

    ReplyDelete
  8. i usually make chocolate tart or peanut butter tart but i have got to try this.... there are so many different flavors merging together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!! i want to try this;). I can't find fresh calamansi here but i can buy the frozen kind. I'm adding this to my to make list! Thanks for the share Annie.

    ReplyDelete